Re: Off-topic: Non-text localization

From: Adam Twardoch (list.adam@twardoch.com)
Date: Fri Dec 22 2006 - 16:54:07 CST

    Jony Rosenne wrote:
    > The image has no meaning to me and I suppose to most Hebrew speakers,
    > although I can guess it has something to do with the American concept of
    > Christmas.

    Contrary to what you suggest, this has very little to do with
    localization, American concepts, or being a speaker of a particular
    language.

    If one has read A. A. Milne's "Winnie the Pooh", then the image has some
    meaning to him or her. If one hasn't, then it probably does not have any
    meaning. This is regardless of where you come from or what your mother
    tongue is: the book has been translated into dozens of languages --
    including Hebrew. I guess you have not read it, but two Hebrew speakers
    I personally know have read the book.

    If someone suggested that for the Hebrew version of Google, A. A.
    Milne's characters should be replaced by some created by, for instance,
    Ephraim Kishon, then I must admit I would find this idea rather absurd.

    In fact, if some company had the idea to replace some literary character
    of worldwide importance (say, Lewis Carrol's Alice, or the Grimm
    brothers' Snow White) with something else in the localized Polish (my
    native) version, I personally would find such practice rather insulting.

    Kind regards,
    Adam Twardoch