Re: Taiwan Aboriginal Languages and Unicode support

From: Cristian Secară (orice@secarica.ro)
Date: Tue Dec 26 2006 - 16:32:32 CST

    On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 06:02:33 -0800, Doug Ewell wrote:

    > There is not necessarily a 1-to-1 correspondence between "Unicode
    > characters" and "letters in the alphabet used by a particular
    > language."

    I know that this is the official Unicode policy, only that I am
    wondering what was the reason for inclusion of several combining Latin
    characters in the 1E00 range, of which, in theory, most of them can be
    obtained via combining diacritical marks.

    > How do users in Amis and Paiwan type this letter on a typewriter or
    > computer keyboard?

    Perhaps with a custom built keyboard layout, like it is required for
    other sophysticated Unicode usage.
    How do users of Linux and/or Windows type combining diacritical
    marks on a daily basis ?

    >> [...] so, when deleting a combining accent all preceding
    >> characters up to the base character and following combining
    >> accents, which belong to the same sequence get deleted too.
    > That is already how proper Unicode-enabled software is supposed to
    > work.

    Hm. Supposing I type by mistake the wrong combining diacritical mark,
    then when I want to make the correction (by hitting backspace once) I
    have to retype the main character too ?

    Cristi

    --
    Cristian Secară