Re: Taiwan Aboriginal Languages and Unicode support

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Tue Dec 26 2006 - 18:27:48 CST

    On Dec 26, 2006, at 3:32 PM, Cristian Secară wrote:

    > I know that this is the official Unicode policy, only that I am
    > wondering what was the reason for inclusion of several combining Latin
    > characters in the 1E00 range, of which, in theory, most of them can be
    > obtained via combining diacritical marks.

    They are there largely to provide round-trip compatibility with pre-
    existing standards or to make support possible for specific languages
    when only primitive Unicode support was available.

    This was done some fifteen years ago. Now, all the major Unicode-
    supporting platforms do the right thing and this kind of hack is no
    longer needed. Moreover, adding precomposed accented forms to the
    standard at this point would create dangerous instabilities for
    processes such as normalizing and will not be done. There are no
    longer any technical needs to do it and strong technical objections to
    it being done.

    ========
    John H. Jenkins
    jenkins@apple.com