Re: ASCII as a subset of Unicode (was: Re: Oxford proposes a leaner alphabet)

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Sat Apr 11 2009 - 16:54:10 CDT

    Hans Aberg <haberg at math dot su dot se> wrote:

    >> I continue to believe the difference between "ASCII characters" and
    >> "Unicode characters" is analogous to the difference between "flutes"
    >> and "musical instruments."
    >
    > Well, what is the mathematical or computer definition of "flutes" and
    > "musical instruments"?

    "Analogous." Flutes and musical instruments are not mathematical or
    computer concepts. The common definition of a flute, however, is that
    it is a particular type of musical instrument.

    Let me try a different approach. What do you believe is the difference
    between an ASCII "A" and a Unicode "A" -- not the bitwise
    representations permitted by ASCII and Unicode respectively, but the
    characters themselves?

    http://www.ewellic.org