Re: ASCII as a subset of Unicode (was: Re: Oxford proposes a leaner alphabet)

From: Mark Davis (mark.edward.davis@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Apr 11 2009 - 20:05:20 CDT

    I agree. One needs to distinguish the ASCII characters from the ASCII encoding
    scheme.

    The ASCII characters are represented in Unicode at codepoints
    U+0000..U+007F. The ASCII encoding scheme represents these as bytes
    %00..%7F, as does the UTF-8 encoding scheme. Other encoding schemes, like
    EBCDIC CCSID 500, may use different byte sequences for the ASCII characters.

    Mark