Re: Engmagate?

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 17:22:45 +0100

No, this links only explains that variants are possible, expected, even
desirable, as long as they do not disrupt the languages with which these
variants are used os they cause confusion.
But before thinking about disunifying the ENG/eng pair for these variants,
we need to find convincing opposed pairs where such variants cause
misinterpretation of the encoded texts.

If these variants are separated only by their *preferred* letter form, this
is not enough to justify disunification. The article does not demonstrate
any case where words/sentences would be misinterpreted when reading them
with one form or the other. May be these forms are not those prefered, but
this is not really a problem (for now, until it is demonstrated).

So the issue can be "easily" solved by managing fonts with
language-sensitive letterforms. OpenType already has the necessary support
for it (this is the same issue between Simplified and Traditional Cjinese
letter forms). This means that for best rendering of text, we need language
tagging (outside of the encoded texts, in metadata, or in rich text formats
by embedding explicit language attributes, that renderers will consider to
select which letter form to render).