Re: NamesList.txt as data source

From: Janusz S. Bień <jsbien_at_mimuw.edu.pl>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 09:16:35 +0200

On Tue, Mar 29 2016 at 7:15 CEST, asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com writes:
> On 3/28/2016 9:40 PM, Janusz S. "Bień" wrote:

[...]

> The terms of use (ostensibly for the entire site) are defined here:
>
> http://www.unicode.org/copyright.html
>
> The document archive has not been designated with anything more
> restrictive, more specific or even explicit, but the documents
> themselves do not carry copyrights. As far as the Consortium is
> concerned, it requires the submitters to follow this policy
>
> http://www.unicode.org/policies/ipr_policy.html
>
> which gives the Consortium the rights to distribute submissions for
> any purpose.
>
> For example:
>
> Can it be redistributed and replicated on other sites?
>
> The Consortium places restrictions on the use of material on "pay
> sites".
>
> Can it be quoted
> literally in a Wikipedia entry?
>
> Do you see anything that would restrict you, other than not having any
> written policy that explicitly covers the Wikipedia?

The document I refer to is a ISO/IEC document. As far as I know, ISO is
quite crazy about copyright. Does the Unicode Consortium policy apply to
this document? If so, then on which principle? An explicit agreement
with ISO?

> In general, what can be done to make access to such information easier?
>
> Over time, some of the information should move from the proposals to
> the text of the core specification and / or into a technical report.
> (For the mathematical characters, there exists a UTR that covers more
> details than the core specification, but for completeness, the core
> specification still contains some higher level stuff).
>
> This process can be user-driven or user\- assisted, by people
> identifying gaps and either proposing text for the core specification
> or writing a Unicode Technical Note or proposing a UTR to cover the
> information.
>
> A UTN or UTR may be appropriate vehicles to collect information about
> a particular field of application (e.g. medievalist use).

An UTN (or UTR) seems a very good long term solution, but I wonder how
many Unicode users are aware of UTN. Personally I tend to forgot about
them :-)

What about a simpler and more technical approach, like a character index
with links to the relevant proposals? Doesn't such a thing already exist
for internal use?

Best regards

Janusz

--
                           ,
Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bien -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra Lingwistyki Formalnej)