Re: Uyghur HEH vs AE

From: Michael Forgey (75252.1523@CompuServe.COM)
Date: Wed Aug 07 1996 - 12:06:32 EDT

Thomas Milo wrote:

>Uyghur uses HEH U+0647 from the Arabic core set to represent the consonant
>phoneme /h/, and AE U+06D5 to represent the vowel phoneme /e/. The
>isolated and final forms of AE are identical to those of HEH. However, AE
>is a disconnecting letter, i.e., it behaves like ALEF, DAL en REH. Therefore
>AE has only final and isolated forms, followed by the initial form of the
>next letter.
--------------------------

So then if one needs to use unicodes from the compatibility area for
the presentaion (contextual) forms of the letter, is it correct to use the
specified
codes FEE9-FEEC, even though the glyphs are not the same for the isolate
and final forms as usually found in say Arabic? Is this situation analogous to
the glyph variant of medial HEH (0647) which occurs in other languages; i.e.,
the '8' shape versus the pointed downward shape?

Regarding AE, your at least one step ahead of me because this was my next
question! I believe that the Unicode manuals explain that AE (06D5) does not
undergo any (contextual) shaping behavior. [The Unicode Standard 2.0, draft
12/1/95, p.4-33; and The Unicode Standard 1.0 Vol. 2, p.398.]

However, the sources I am using for Uyghur all seem to agree with your
explanation above that AE does connect on the right side. The sources
I am primarily consulting are:

1. "The World's Writing Systems", eds. P. Daniels & W. Bright,
Oxford University Press, 1996, p.760.

2. "Spoken Uyghur", R. F. Hahn, Univ. of Washington Press, 1991, p. 97.

3. And finally, I have a specification for the Uyghur character set from
an individual associated with the Language Dept. of Xinjiang Education
College in Xinjiang, China. This is one of the primary regions
where Uyghur is spoken.

regards,
mike
Michael Forgey