Re: Uyghur HEH vs AE

From: Michael Forgey (75252.1523@CompuServe.COM)
Date: Thu Aug 08 1996 - 10:00:33 EDT

Martin Duerst wrote:

>The compatibility area is there just for compatibility with encodings
>that used glyphs instead of characters. If you use it for this purpose,
>then everything depends on how your Uyghur text is actually encoded.
>More probably, you are asking about the codepoints to use during
>the rendering process or for font encoding.

Yes that's right.

>For both, you are absolutely
>free what to use, it is not at all specified by Unicode. A quick look
>into a list of character names will show you that Unicode doesn't contain
>compatibility presentation variants for all Arabic charcters. So for
>rendering and font encoding, you have to define new codepoints
>anyway.

OK. So back to my earlier question, do you know if the correct
Unicode for Uyghur HEH is 0647? Thomas Milo says yes, and I
think he is right. The reason I had the question was because
in Uyghur HEH evidently does not exihibit the "usual" shaping
behavior. There are so many different HEH (and YEH) type characters
in the Arabic script I get a bit confused sometimes. For example, Urdu
uses at least four or five different what I refer to as "HEH-type" characters!

regards,
mike forgey
Michael Forgey
2201 W. William Cannon Dr. #224