Re: RFC 1766 language tags

From: Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no
Date: Fri Jun 13 1997 - 16:04:02 EDT

(note: in order to get the number of copies down, I've set an
explicit Reply-to: on this message, pointing to ietf-languages only)

We may get the "unknown language" code for free if we can just
wait until ISO 639-2 is referrable; at the latest draft, it
contained the code "unk" for "unknown language" and "mul" for
"multiple languages".

Whatever lack of elegance these imply, they are someone else's
kludges, and there seems no need to invent our own.

              Harald A