UK

From: Emil HERİAK (emil.hersak@zg.tel.hr)
Date: Thu Nov 27 1997 - 00:10:34 EST

First of all, my apologies if the gif I am attaching to this message will cause
some problems. I have to keep it to minimal size, but I do not see any other
way to get the image through.

Last week, I sent a message regarding OCS, Glagolitic and imput methods
with Windows.I didn't receive much feed-back on the imput methods, but
since the discussion has recently touched upon Old Cyrillic and Glagolitic,
I will repeat some of the problems.

1) The attached gif shows the two forms of UK used in Old Slavonic Cyrillic.
The first form has received encoding, but the second has not. Naturally, I
understand that differencing in letter form can be resolved by fancy fonts etc.,
but in this case the second form appears regularly in some later texts and
not in others. Since or at least many of the other letters remain more or less
standarised, it would make little sense to produce two separate type-faces
with differing "uk" characters. It would seem to me best to provide one more
slot in Old Cyrillic to cover this alternative form.

2) Glagolitic. I would like to know if any work has been done so far on this
historical script. As I mentioned in my earlier posting, I have tentatively used
the Old Cyrillic encoding for Glagolitic (treating it more or less like a "fancy"
Cyrillic font), but this is not really satisfactory. The two scripts are impressively
different, and furthermore a scholarly text may have need of both of them in
one font. Glagolitic itself poses the problem of two forms - the original form,
and the later angular form developed and used in Croatia.The angular form has
certain advantages, since having been used in printing, it has a developed
standarised features.

Emil Hersak
Zagreb.