Re: Mapping between Windows codepage and ISO codepage

From: Geoffrey Waigh (gpw@cybersurf.net)
Date: Wed Jul 01 1998 - 14:43:56 EDT

Doug Ewell wrote:

> 1252 is compatible with 8859-1 if you (1) avoid the additional
> characters in the 80-9F zone of 1252, and (2) don't need the C1
> control characters in 8859-1 (who does?).

People supporting ISO-6429 (ANSI type terminals) use them and when
I was working in terminal emulation, a number of our customers on a
variety of platforms had applications that generated C1 control
codes. Displaying 1252 data - especially with certain applications
fondness for using the quote marks in the C1 zone - results in a mess.

Geoffrey
gpw@cybersurf.net