Re: Suggestions for modification - Malayalam

From: James E. Agenbroad (jage@loc.gov)
Date: Wed Sep 01 1999 - 15:07:49 EDT

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Jeroen Hellingman wrote:

> [...]
  I believe a separate code for length marks is found in Unicode encoding
of several Indic scripts when the vowel sign appears on two sides of a
consonant (or consonant cluster). It does not exist in ISCII. Its
presence may be due to the inability of some Western computers to deal
with "discontinuous" characters. It seems to be a vestigal remain from a
graphic rather than phonetic approach to encoding Indic scripts. I suspect
it makes sorting more difficult--what constitutes 'harm' I cannot
say--but I fear it cannot be eliminated. I do not know Malayalam.
     Regards,
          Jim Agenbroad ( jage@LOC.gov )
     The above are purely personal opinions, not necessarily the official
views of any government or any agency of any.
Phone: 202 707-9612; Fax: 202 707-0955; US mail: I.T.S. Dev.Gp.4, Library
of Congress, 101 Independence Ave. SE, Washington, D.C. 20540-9334 U.S.A.