Re: Do we need a Klingon in Unicode (was Re: What happened to

From: Rick McGowan (rmcgowan@apple.com)
Date: Wed Oct 20 1999 - 17:47:01 EDT

> How likely is it that when/if Tengwar and Cirth get into the UCS, they
> will do so at the Roadmap position, with the codepoints assigned as in the
> current proposal?

My analysis of historical precedent predicts that these characters, if they
are ever approved, will go in at the proposed positions, and everyone will
agree about that. However, at the very last possible minute before
publication there will be an off-by-one switcheroo because of new information
about the native alphabetic sequence; and then at least one hitherto unknown
character will come flying in from Frodo-knows-where and scootch half the
code table up by two codepoints instead of only one. Everyone's prior
implementations will be totally hosed, and their data will have to be all
converted.

Next question...

        Rick