RE: correction (was: Not all Arabics are created equal...)

From: Gregg Reynolds (greynolds@greynolds.com)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 21:35:45 EDT

Again: the writing protocol (or algorithm) does not matter. Look at the
many ways I can write the number four thousand two hundred fifty seven:

The conventional way:
        4
        42
        4257

"Backwards":
           7
          57
         257
        4257

"Evens first, forwards":
         2
         2 7
        42 7
        4257

"Odds first, backwards":
          5
        4 5
        425
        4257

"Evens first, forwards, then odds, backwards":
         2
         2 7
         257
        4257

etc. etc. etc. We can run through the same exercise in any language. The
outcome is always the same. What counts (no pun intended) is the
mathematical rule of evaluation, which says that the LSD position is ones,
the next over is tens, then hundreds, etc. In English and most European
languages, the MSD, as defined by the mathematical rule of evaluation, comes
first in reading order, and "first in reading order" in English means to the
left of the other figures. In Arabic, and Persian, and Urdu, etc., "first
in reading order" means to the right of the remaining figures, and that
means the LSD. "Reading order" means typographically, on the page, and not
verbally; don't forget that the figures on the page denote numbers, not
words, so pronouncing the words that represent the same number should not be
construed as a reading of the figures, but of their meaning. So although
Persian written forms are LSD first, the spoken translation is MSD first.

The key point is that a mathematical modeling of written language (which is
what Unicode amounts to) should model the semantics of written forms, and
not the protocols/algorithms of putting ink on paper or emitting sounds into
the air.

I suspect the audience has become thoroughly bored by now, so if you'd like
to continue the conversation maybe we should do so privately.

Sincerely,

Gregg