Re: Designing a multilingual web site

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Sat Jul 15 2000 - 22:54:58 EDT

(thanks for including me on thee cc:line, I am flattered!)

UTF-8 is an acceptable alternative for text on from any code page (and it is
the really the only alternative for multilingual pages since design tools on
the Windows platform outside of notepad cannot handle UTF-16 or UTF-32).

The updates on the Unicode site are being done for all new pages and for the
rest as they have time.

The only features you lose:

1) There is an exceedingly small percentage of browsers that cannot
understand UTF-8.
2) You lose the ability to get script-less auto-download of language support
for ARA/HEB/THA/VIE/CHT/CHS/KOR/JPN for people using IE 5.0/5.01/5.5/etc.

If it were for not for #2 and the fact that most of my localizers give me
encoded pages that use their own preferences, I would have all my pages as
UTF-8, too. I certainly use it for multilingual pages and pages without a
real charset to use, like

http://www.trigeminal.com/samples/address_book
http://www.trigeminal.com/samples/provincial.html

<blatant_spam>
If anyone has leads or ideas for languages not yet on the provincial page, I
am actively looking to get more (its now at 112 languages!)
</blatant_spam>

michka