Re: OT (Kind of): Determining whether Locales are left-to-right or

From: David Tooke (dtooke@interproinc.com)
Date: Thu Dec 07 2000 - 13:32:17 EST

> I assume you mean "a word processor localized in English" rather than
> "a word processor that can't do bidi". If the former, I agree.
That's good. I am just trying to establish what level of '...do bidi.' is
appropriate for my application.

> But note that the chrome of a word-processor (the border, menus,
> etc. etc.) aren't *part* of the document it is editing.
That's true. But to use a contrived example, suppose the word processor
always outputted "Page: x" in English on the bottom of every page, the
argument still stands, as long as it understands bidi it can still format it
as a RTL document.

...And in response to Tex.
>I would spend less time debating which is correct, and simply offer
>a button on the UI to flip the ordering of the page.
Although we cannot have a option to store preferences for particular users,
we will allow users to change the locale during the current session. This
is initially set to the users browser default; but they can change it. We
do not anticipate providing an option that just changes the page
directionality. I believe if the user says 'ar_EG' they should get RTL, if
they say 'en_US' then they should get LTR.

This leads back to the original question I posed. Simply, what is the best
way of going from a locale to a direction?