RE: Unicode complaints

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@sharif.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 15 2001 - 19:18:26 EST

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001 Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:

> Do you think that split cursors that visually indicate where you are in the
> text (e.g. you're entering between the last number and the following space
> vs. you're entering between the first number and the preceding space --
> these two perhaps occuring at the same visual place along the line) provide
> what users need?

They're not enough. They only complicate the matter. It should be
simplified for the user. The user should not need to think about this
problems when she's editing the text. When she has moved the cursor from
elsewhere to "here", she wants to insert the space here, and nowhere else.
She has clicked here, so she should be able to insert it here. She need
not look at the cursor shape to find that: "Sorry, we will insert your
character somewhere else. If you want the character in the place you just
told, please bare with me. I'm sure there is a way you can insert in
there. Please just try different things until I get it right!" ;)

And this is only a simple case. There are other cases that are "keyboard
mode"-dependent. For example, I believe that when the user presses the "("
shape on her keyboard when in RTL mode, she wants that shape also, and not
only U+0029. If RLMs or such characters need to be inserted to get it
right for her, they should be inserted automatically.

--roozbeh