Re: Keys. (derives from Re: Sequences of combining characters.)

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Thu Sep 26 2002 - 09:35:58 EDT

    On 09/26/2002 06:05:45 AM "William Overington" wrote:

    I'm going to refrain from commenting on anything beyond the markup issues
    -- and I'm continuing with that only because it's an easy follow-on to what
    I already wrote, even though there is every indication that the sensibility
    of it will be ignored.

    >A document would contain a sequence such as follows.
    >
    >U+2604 U+0302 U+20E3 12001 U+2460 London U+2604 U+0302 U+20E2

    You could just as easily have used

    <S C="12001">London</S>

    or

    <S C="12001" P1="London"/>

    which are only slightly more verbose, but which follow a widely-implemented
    standard that can be parsed by lots of existing software, for which there
    are a large number of tools available, and which a vast number of
    indivuals, businesses and other agencies have an interest in. Your markup
    convention is completely proprietary, it has no existing software support,
    and nobody but you has any interest in it. You tell me which one is more
    likely to result in productive work and adoption by others.

    >that it is
    >because I am an inventor, interested in pushing the envelope as to what is
    >possible scientifically and technologically.

    Perhaps there is an inventors@eccentrics.com list somewhere where you might
    find greater interest in your ideas than here. None of us here mind
    invention, but I think most would believe that inventiveness is most
    productive when building off the advancement of others rather than
    reinventing wheels or widgets. XML exists, and it works.

    Beside the fact that your proposed markup convention is not a good idea, it
    has nothing whatsoever to do with the development of Unicode. This
    discussion really ought to be taken elsewhere.

    - Peter

    Peter Constable

    7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
    Tel: +1 972 708 7485
    E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>