Re: RE: Character identities

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 11:17:01 EST

    John Cowan <jcowan at reutershealth dot com> wrote:

    > If I find your Suetterlin font unreadable, however, and switch to an
    > Antiqua font to read your German, I expect to find the text littered
    > with diaereses, not macrons, although the Suetterlin umlaut-mark looks
    > pretty much like a macron.

    Actually, the Sütterlin umlaut-mark is a small italicized "e," which is
    very similar to an "n." What it really ends up looking like, from a
    distance, is a double acute. (John's point is still perfectly valid, of
    course.)

    Sütterlin does use a macron over "m" and "n" to indicate that the letter
    should be doubled, and it uses a breve over "u" to differentiate it from
    the otherwise identical "n."

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California