Re: Possible proposal for new Hebrew accent character

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Mon Dec 09 2002 - 11:21:08 EST

    Mark:

    I've got Revell's translation of Yeivin, and it doesn't mention "etnah
    hafukh". (Perhaps Breuer was reading the Hebrew original and the term was
    omitted in the translation.)

    In the translation of Yeivin, section #361, it says,

    "Oleh we-yored has only one servus [preceding conjunctive accent]. In the
    MSS [manuscripts], this characteristic servus is marked by a "v" shaped
    sign marked under the stress [sic] syllable. In later MSS this is confused
    with galgal, the servus of pazer, so that the servus of oleh we-yored has
    the same semi-circular form as the servus of pazer. The extent to which the
    angular form of the servus of oleh we-yored is distinguished from the
    semi-circular form of the servus of pazer serves as an indicator of the
    accuracy and purity of the tradition of the accentuation in a manuscript."

    This seems to suggest, then, that an additional, distinct accent is needed.

    What I don't understand, however, is why BHS doesn't reflect this: if BHS
    is based on the Leningrad Codex, which is considered the most reliable
    examplar of the ben Asher tradition, and if the ben Asher tradition is
    considered the most reliable, and if (per Yeivin) the distinction between
    the servus of ole we-yored and that of pazer reflects on the "accuracy and
    purity" of the source, then I'd expect this distinction to be reflected in
    the Leningrad Codex and, hence, in BHS. This doesn't invalidate Yeivin's
    comments, however.

    If Yeivin is correct (and I have no reason to presume otherwise), then
    presumably there should be a manuscript that shows both, potentially in
    close proximity. If someone can come up with a digitised sample from such a
    manuscript, a proposal should be relatively straight forward.

    - Peter

    Peter Constable

    7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
    Tel: +1 972 708 7485