Re: Country names in native script

From: Anthony Fok (anthony@thizlinux.com)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 22:40:03 EST

    On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 03:00:59PM -0500, Frank da Cruz wrote:
    > > Frank, feel free to take the country names out of my Unicode example page:
    > > http://www.i18nguy.com/unicode-example.html
    > > Already in UTF-8 for you.
    > >
    > Perfect, thanks -- I borrowed the CJK ones, the Amharic ones, the Arabic
    > and Hebrew ones, Hindustani, Bhutan, Khmer, and a couple Cyrillic names I
    > didn't already have.

    Hope you find these useful too:

        People's Republic of China (Zhonghua Renmin Gongheguo)
        (Simplified Chinese)
        中华人民共和国

        Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (Xianggang Tebie Xingzhengqu)
        (Traditional Chinese):
        香港特別行政區

        Hong Kong (Xianggang) (Traditional Chinese):
        香港

        Macao Special Administrative Region (Aomen Tebie Xingzhengqu)
        (Traditional Chinese):
        澳門特別行政區

        Macao (Aomen) (Traditional Chinese): 澳門

    Of course, if you intend to put the full name of these SARs, you may want to
    add "People's Republic of China" in front of these names too. The PRC in
    traditional Chinese is:

        中華人民共和國

    But of course, for mailing, 中國香港
    and 中國澳門 (or even just 香港
    and 澳門) would suffice. :-)

    Taiwan is also known as:

        Republic of China (Zhonghua Minguo):
            中華民國

    But yes, that name has unfortunately become a very touch issue in the
    China-Taiwan two-straits relationship, so it is up to you whether you want
    to list it or not.

    Cheers,

    Anthony

    --