Re: Missing Character, Armenian Eterntity

From: Steven Shamlian (sshamlia@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Sun Jun 15 2003 - 18:50:06 EDT

    > How is it used? What does it really mean? Can you show us samples of it in
    > use in text of various kinds?

    The Armenian Eternity symbol is a modernization of an ancient Armenian
    petroglyph symbol (can be seen in context here at
    http://www.willmaster.com/aviator/M2M/mariam%20hakobyan%20-%20armenia/1.jpg
    on the back of the bird fighting the serpent, a symbol of the eternal
    struggle between good over evil) which literally represents the concept of
    eternity. Eternity is an important concept to a race of people which has
    found itself threatened throughout recorded history by invadors like the
    Romans, Persians, Ottomans, etc. The symbol is no longer used as a
    shorthand for the word "eternity" in modern-day texts. However, it is a
    stylistic element in heavy use where other text is concerned. To quote
    http://www.oneworld.am/armenia/culture/pagan_003.htm, "Perhaps the most
    common Pre-Christian symbol still in use today, is the round, whirling
    symbol of eternity. In Armenia it is found everywhere, in architecture; on
    doors, walls and on tombstones. It can also be found as part of various
    logotypes including the Dashnaktsutyun Party." The symbol is also used as
    a dingbat in magazines and other contemporary publications. I hope that
    this has made the use of the symbol more clear.
    --Steven Shamlian
    Carnegie Mellon University

    Examples:

    * In a logotype: Armenian Youth Federation Olympics 2002 logo:
    http://www.ayf.org/sections/olympics/olympics_images/olympics2002_logo.gif
    * As a dingbat on the web: http://www.cilicia.com/
    I can supply other examples upon request.