Re: Missing Character, Armenian Eterntity

From: Steven Shamlian (
Date: Sun Jun 15 2003 - 18:50:06 EDT

    > How is it used? What does it really mean? Can you show us samples of it in
    > use in text of various kinds?

    The Armenian Eternity symbol is a modernization of an ancient Armenian
    petroglyph symbol (can be seen in context here at
    on the back of the bird fighting the serpent, a symbol of the eternal
    struggle between good over evil) which literally represents the concept of
    eternity. Eternity is an important concept to a race of people which has
    found itself threatened throughout recorded history by invadors like the
    Romans, Persians, Ottomans, etc. The symbol is no longer used as a
    shorthand for the word "eternity" in modern-day texts. However, it is a
    stylistic element in heavy use where other text is concerned. To quote, "Perhaps the most
    common Pre-Christian symbol still in use today, is the round, whirling
    symbol of eternity. In Armenia it is found everywhere, in architecture; on
    doors, walls and on tombstones. It can also be found as part of various
    logotypes including the Dashnaktsutyun Party." The symbol is also used as
    a dingbat in magazines and other contemporary publications. I hope that
    this has made the use of the symbol more clear.
    --Steven Shamlian
    Carnegie Mellon University

    * In a logotype: Armenian Youth Federation Olympics 2002 logo:
    * As a dingbat on the web:
    I can supply other examples upon request.