Re: Character codes for Egyptian transliteration

From: Paul James Cowie (pjamescowie@ancientneareast.net)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 10:38:45 EDT

    Thanks, Michael and Peter....

    For your feedback regarding Egyptian transliteration characters - I did
    get the feeling after trawling the code charts that they just weren't
    all there..... now you've confirmed the fact (well, at least we do have
    the dotted k.... though I conventionally use "q" for that myself
    anyway!)

    To answer your question, Peter, I am using U+02BE for aleph when
    encoding Semitic transliterations, likewise U+02BF for ayin (which is
    also used in Egyptian transliteration). It would be great, though, to
    have access to purpose-encoded characters for the conventional Egyptian
    aleph (3) and yod (i with a half-ring) that don't rely on combinations
    or workarounds. These characters are certainly the accepted convention
    in most if not all Egyptological publications - a burgeoning field!

    So let's get that proposal for these two characters happening!! Exactly
    how does one go about that? How long will it take for their acceptance
    do you think? I'd love to be able to drop use of a transliteration font
    in order to encode my transliterations correctly.... I'm sure other
    Egyptologists would also appreciate it!

    Thanks again,

    Paul James Cowie

    London, UK and Sydney, Australia

    Editor, http://www.ancientneareast.net/
    Area Supervisor, Tel Rehov Excavations, Israel
    Committee Member, Friends of the Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archaeology

    PhD Candidate, Department of Ancient History and Archaeology, Macquarie
    University, Sydney, Australia