Re: Character codes for Egyptian transliteration

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 11:25:31 EDT

    Paul James Cowie scripsit:

    > It would be great, though, to
    > have access to purpose-encoded characters for the conventional Egyptian
    > aleph (3) and yod (i with a half-ring) that don't rely on combinations
    > or workarounds.

    I quite agree about the 3-like character (which for whatever reason is
    ayin in the Semitic world but alef in Egyptology).

    Lumping "combinations and workarounds" in a single bucket, however, is
    against the spirit of Unicode. It is the precomposed characters that
    are the workaround, viz. for the inability of legacy systems to handle
    combining characters, which are the true Unicode way.

    > So let's get that proposal for these two characters happening!! Exactly
    > how does one go about that?

    It already exists in preliminary form:
    http://www.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n2241.pdf

    > How long will it take for their acceptance
    > do you think?

    About two years.

    --
    Not to perambulate                 John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>