Re: Klingons and their allies - Beyond 17 planes

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 11:07:05 CST

Mark E. Shoulson scripsit:

> But
> there *are* people who use it in handwriting, who keep journals in it,
> who write notes to one another... (I'm not one of them, in general, but
> there are Klingonists who do). I'll see if I can get you some names and
> data.

This doesn't really meet what Unicode needs. Keeping journals is a personal
use, and writing notes is a point-to-point use. What we need is something
resembling publishing: a book, a journal, a newsletter. Something where
in order to computerize it, people have to agree on the encoding who can't
make person-to-person agreements.

> It *is* a c-and-e problem, as I've said just now. We *can't* send email
> or make web pages in Klingon: I've tried, and even with Mozilla (a
> generally standards-compliant browser) the PUA doesn't work as it ought
> to, and if it did it wouldn't matter since the PUA by definition isn't
> meant for information interchange.

Try looking at http://publish.reutershealth.com/cgi-bin/qapla with Mozilla
Firebird or IE6. Make sure you have the Code2000 font installed.

> Hebrew's also a cipher to slightly augmented Latin, didn't you know
> that?

:-)

--
"Take two turkeys, one goose, four              John Cowan
cabbages, but no duck, and mix them             http://www.ccil.org/~cowan