Re: [OT] Re: Klingons and their allies - Beyond 17 planes

From: Patrick Andries (Patrick.Andries@xcential.com)
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 12:42:36 CST

----- Message d'origine -----
De: "John Cowan" <jcowan@reutershealth.com>

> Patrick Andries scripsit:
>
> > Incidentally, I notice that the b of group 8's bî (in my Meillet and
Cohen
> > plural of ki) has a horizontal stroke across the lower stem of the b. I
also
> > noticed this in a transcription of a Mayotte language. Also used by
Meillet
> > and Cohen to note class 2 and class 8 prefix in Herero : respectively
ob-a
> > and ib-i.
>
> It's probably a glyphic variant of U+0180.

In the case of Malgasy writing system (not Mayotte sorry) someone suggested
to me that it may be phonetically equivalent to U+0253, the sample I have is
« Kib-osi kimaôre en orthographe malgache » which means « Malgache de
Mayotte » (Mayotte being a French island off Madagascar). I will check the
actually value and usage of this b in Malgasy.

P. A.