Re: Klingons and their allies - Beyond 17 planes

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 13:48:12 CST

John Cowan wrote:

>Mark E. Shoulson scripsit:
>

>>I'm attaching a screenshot of http://www.kli.org/QQ/QQ0202.html?mode=UTF
>>which SHOULD be a Unicode encoding. This is with Mozilla 1.4 and
>>Code2000. Even people who can read pIqaD can't read this. The "qapla'"
>>page works okay, but note that only some letters are affected (that's
>>okay; English doesn't *really* need its g, m, q, r, and z, right?)
>>

>I see the same partial mojibake on Mozilla Firebird/Linux, but the
>Windows version seems to work correctly. So does fully patched IE6.

I'm pretty sure this is happening because the stylesheet specifies
something non-Code2000, and since Times or whatever has things at those
codepoints, the (r) and such win, while where it's silent, the browser
falls back on Code2000. It worked on your qapla page because you have
an explicit fontface=code2000 there.

(Ah, so why didn't I fix it? Mainly because I only just figured it out.)

~mark