Re: Klingon

From: jcowan@reutershealth.com
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 13:09:41 EST

    Philippe Verdy scripsit:

    > Not really: look at how uppercase letters are used: case mapping, which is
    > quite safe in languages written with the Latin script,

    Oh, is it? I note quite a difference between a polish manufacturer and a Polish
    one. Indeed, in one case a Polish-language newspaper in the U.S. mistranslated
    a wire-service news item about a storm that had knocked down five hundred
    telephone poles as if it were about Poles rather than poles.

    While I agree that the use of case in Klingon orthography is annoying, there
    is really only one bad case, Q vs. q.

    --
    John Cowan    http://www.ccil.org/~cowan   <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
        "Any legal document draws most of its meaning from context.  A telegram