Re: Arid Canaanite Wasteland

From: D. Starner (shalesller@writeme.com)
Date: Sun May 02 2004 - 20:04:03 CDT

> > So now if you think that two scripts that are isomorphic and closely related
> > should be unified, then you're exerting "political pressure"?

> Since no rational basis for the heated objections to the proposal
> seems apparent, "political pressure" appears to be a likely choice.

Excuse me? This is a 22-character script with one-to-one correspondence with a
preëncoded script, that uses the same sounds as that script and even the
same spelling in the major languages that use that script, and which people
who work with the older version generally encode in the newer version and
print in the modern style. (This differs from the difference between Fraktur
and Roman fonts because there isn't an exact one-to-one correspondence between
the two; the long-s disappeared and the essett was added.) That sounds like
a font difference to me.

Now, there definitely is a rational basis for the proposal, but if you think
the objections have no rational basis, you need to grow up and pay attention to
what other people are saying instead of dissmissing it off-hand as "political
pressure".

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm