Re: Nice to join this forum....

From: jcowan@reutershealth.com
Date: Mon May 03 2004 - 12:01:03 CDT

jameskass@att.net scripsit:

> Wondering about casing, if the "gb" diagraph appears initially, I have
> a booklet for learning Yoruba which includes the proper name of the
> Rt. Rev. Isaac Gbekeleoluwa Abiodun Jadesimi in the bilingual dedication.
> In both the Yoruba and English versions of the dedication, only the
> letter "G" in "Gbekeleoluwa" is in upper case.

That consideration is quite separate from being a digraphic letter of the
alphabet. "ll" is a Welsh letter, but is capitalized "Ll", whereas
"ij" is a Dutch letter, but is capitalized "IJ". In both cases, of
course, the preferred Unicode representation uses two Basic Latin letters
("ij" and "IJ" have separate encodings for compatibility with teletex).

        In every land custom is king.
                --Ian Arnstein

--
Knowledge studies others / Wisdom is self-known;      John Cowan
Muscle masters brothers / Self-mastery is bone;       jcowan@reutershealth.com