Re: New contribution

From: jcowan@reutershealth.com
Date: Mon May 03 2004 - 12:25:30 CDT

Mark Davis scripsit:

> That document (http://www.yahweh.org/publications/sny/sn09Chap.pdf) is obviously
> *not* encodeable as plain text. Drop caps, bold face, italics, superscripts,
> font size, headers, footnotes, etc.

Furthermore, it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying
nothing.

> The question for me is whether the scholarly representations of the Phoenician
> would vary enough that in order to represent the palæo-Hebrew (or the other
> language/period variants), one would need to have font difference anyway. If so,
> then it doesn't buy much to encode separately from Hebrew. If not, then it would
> be reasonable to separate them.

Thus spake Michael in N2746:

        The twenty-two letters in the Phoenician block may be used,
        with appropriate font changes, to express Punic, Neo-Punic,
        Phoenician proper, Late Phoenician cursive, Phoenician papyrus,
        Siloam Hebrew, Hebrew seals, Ammonite, Moabite, and Palaeo-Hebrew.

So font difference does seem to be needed, yes.

--
"But I am the real Strider, fortunately,"       John Cowan
he said, looking down at them with his face     jcowan@reutershealth.com