Re: Looking for transcription or transliteration standards latin->arabic

From: Mark Davis (mark.davis@jtcsv.com)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 12:06:01 CDT

    When we looked into this, the problem we found is that there are many
    standards.

    We ended up with the following in ICU (see
    http://oss.software.ibm.com/cgi-bin/icu/tr for a demo,
    http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/userguide/Transform.html for descriptions).
    I believe that we followed the UNGEGN conventions, with added accents to
    support round-tripping. Note that while we have the ability to have
    different transliterations for different languages, or for variant
    transliterations, we have not added any as yet. (The '>' means 'transforms
    into' below).

    ٫ > '.̱';
    ٬ > ',̱';
    ، > ',';