RE: Looking for transcription or transliteration standards latin- >arabic

From: Mike Ayers (mike.ayers@tumbleweed.com)
Date: Fri Jul 02 2004 - 15:18:07 CDT

    > From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org]On
    > Behalf Of John H. Jenkins

    > 於 Jul 2, 2004 11:17 AM 時,Chris Harvey 提到:
    >
    > > Perhaps one could think of "Ha Tinh" as the English word
    > for the city,
    > > like "Rome" (English) for "Roma" (Italian), or Tokyo (English) for
    > > "Tōkyō" (English transliteration of Japanese), or Kahnawake
    > > (English/French) for Kahnawà:ke (Mohawk).
    >
    > Or Peking for Beǐjīng. :-)

            Or either of those for 北京? Hmmm - can't really transcribe 北京, now
    can we? After all, it doesn't have a definitive pronunciation, various
    government mandates aside. We can only transcribe pronunciation, not
    spelling. And isn't that the real difference? I always thought it was.
    Transcribing is making sounds readable, whereas transliteration is making
    letters familiar, yes?

            I think this is a bit of a Rorshach, though - I doubt any definition
    or definitons would well cover all the available ground.

    /|/|ike