Re: is "n with tilde" used in French language ?

From: Ted Hopp (ted.hopp@newslate.com)
Date: Mon Jul 05 2004 - 10:23:31 CDT

    On Monday, July 05, 2004 7:52 AM, António Martins-Tuválkin wrote:
    > From Spanish "cańón"? I'm sure there's an excellent reason to "keep"
    > the tilde but trash the acute... ;-)

    Possibly because, in Spanish, the accent simply indicates which syllable
    carries the stress (not otherwise changing the pronunciation of the o),
    while ń is a different letter from n.

    Ted

    Ted Hopp, Ph.D.
    ZigZag, Inc.
    ted.hopp@newSLATE.com
    +1-301-990-7453

    newSLATE is your personal learning workspace
       ...on the web at http://www.newSLATE.com/