Re: Looking for transcription or transliteration standards latin- >arabic

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 04:50:04 CDT

    On 03/07/2004 00:07, Patrick Andries wrote:

    >Jony Rosenne a écrit :

    But Constantinople -> Istanbul is not in fact this kind of name change,
    for Istanbul (that is, İstanbul) is probably a corrupted and shortened
    version of Constantinople, with the initial I added to fit Turkish
    phonology (cf. the old western version Stamboul, still used in Russian,
    also Smyrna -> Izmir). (I have also heard it said that Istanbul comes
    from Greek EIS TĒN POLIN "to the city", but that seems less likely to
    me.) So the change is more like Beijing -> Peking than Berlin ->
    Kitchener. I guess another similar change would be Danzig -> Gdansk, but
    I don't know where the initial G came from so possibly the Polish form
    is older than the German.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)