Re: Named sequences, was: Saudi-Arabian Copyright sign

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Wed Sep 22 2004 - 12:23:17 CDT

    On Tuesday, September 21st, 2004 10:58 Peter Kirk va escriure:

    > Is the intention of these named sequences to list all sequences which
    > are commonly considered to be units, although not treated as such by
    > Unicode?

    By the way, this begs questions I did not see clearly spelled:

    Is the intention of these named sequences to list all sequences that are
    commonly rendered as single glyphes? (of course, of particular importance is
    this question with regard to the Indic scripts ;-))

    Is the intention of these named sequences to list all sequences that may be
    commonly understood as unitary when rendered, even if often the font
    technology really build it from basic pieces? Here, I am thinking about the
    'barakhadi', these traditional presentations in tabular form of a (Indic)
    syllabary; I also believe any abugida will have a similar presentation. I am
    also thinking about all these conjuncts where the second consonant have a
    distinct yet systematic glyph: a number of them, particularly when they
    involve -y -r or sometimes -v are not considered special; but there are more
    tangential cases, like -n -m -l, in Nagari, Oriya, Malayalam, etc.

    Of course, there may be a considerable debate about 'commonly'...
    Particularly since there exists the danger that having such a table may be
    objected by some people as a reason to refuse a combination that would NOT
    be registered; also there is the problem of the sequences for which two+
    different sequences are supposed to mean the same thing.

    Antoine