Re: Unicode & Shorthand?

From: Timothy Partridge (timpart@perdix.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 13:49:56 CDT

    Gerd Schumacher said:

    > The Tironian notes, comprising many thousand characters, are the only
    > exeption, I know. The Tironian et (U+204A) is still in use today. Few other
    > ones of them, which survived in medieval Latin paleography, and even in
    > early printing, in my opinion, should be encoded.

    Some abbreviations (about twenty?) did have more common use and there are
    many 19th century UK books published in "record type" which reproduce
    ancient records. Many of the abbreviations don't have a unique expansion so
    converting into expanded plain text loses the original ambiguity.

       Tim

    --
    Tim Partridge. Any opinions expressed are mine only and not those of my employer