Re: String name and Character Name

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Tue Apr 19 2005 - 12:16:30 CST

    On 19/04/2005 01:01, Mark Davis wrote:

    >Peter,
    >
    >It is pointless to keep asking for the names to be changed, deprecated, or
    >replaced. Because of the Unicode stability policy, that simply will not
    >happen, as should be clear to you from the many responses on this topic.

    I am well aware that names cannot be changed or replaced. But there is
    nothing in the Unicode stability policy which rules out deprecation of
    the entire list of character names. And I have only seen one previous
    response which has specifically opposed this proposal.

    >The mechanism we have now is to add annotations, ...

    This mechanism is completely inadequate. That is the main point of this
    thread.

    >... and we encourage people to
    >submit them. There are also some ideas about having a repository of
    >localized names, eg in CLDR, that may be worth exploring. ...

    Indeed. Localisation is a good way ahead. But an accurate localised set
    of English character names makes the inaccurate list of official names
    redundant, and opens the way for their official deprecation.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)