Re: "Unicode encoded" button in Generic Scalable Vector Graphics Format

From: Edward H. Trager (ehtrager@umich.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 20 2005 - 10:26:05 CDT

    Hi, everyone,

    > Indeed, I would prefer a Unicode-encoded logo in standard 88×31 size for my
    > WWW pages. Any artists to volunteer?

    How about this -- A very close fascimile of John Hudson's "Unicode Enabled" button
    in pure Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) format!

    You can import this into any SVG
    application (i.e., Adobe Illustrator or Inkscape (http://www.inkscape.org)), scale
    it to any size you want, change the background color, change the font colors, change
    the globe colors, change the font of the text, "stretch" the rectangle, etc., and then export it in any
    format and size you want. I believe this will provide a solution for everyone.

    Please note that the SVG document currently specifies "Bitstream Vera Sans" font
    (available from http://www.gnome.org/fonts/ ) as I do not know what the font
    John originally used is. If you know, just substitute that font and viola!, it will
    look almost identical to Hudson's original GIF images.

    I have made the SVG document available for download by the Unicode and internet community at large
    at the following URL. If the Unicode Consortium wishes to put the SVG document on the
    Unicode web site, that's OK with me too.

          http://eyegene.ophthy.med.umich.edu/unicode/button/

    Enjoy--

    -- Ed Trager