RE: Exemplar Characters

From: JR (jr@qsm.co.il)
Date: Wed Nov 16 2005 - 14:22:14 CST

    I note that in the actual text pages one can get to from these home pages it
    is often just San Jose.

    We all know that accented letters do appear in English in borrowed words.
    The disagreement is about the interpretation of this fact - should the
    exemplar character set, main or auxiliary, include them or not. I'm afraid
    that by carrying the case to extremes one could end up with the entire
    Unicode in the exemplar set of all locales. I don't think this is the right
    direction, nor is it useful.

    When the people of San Jose choose to respect the Spanish origin of the
    name, then they are using Spanish orthography, not English. It just isn't
    "en".

    Another point, especially relevant to the apostrophe: CLDR, in my mind,
    should be descriptive, rather than didactic. It should describe the
    situation as it happens to be, not as it should have been.

    Jony