Re: Exemplar Characters

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Nov 16 2005 - 16:35:51 CST

    Jony wrote:

    >Another point, especially relevant to the apostrophe: CLDR, in my mind,
    >should be descriptive, rather than didactic. It should describe the
    >situation as it happens to be, not as it should have been.

    Descritptive of what? The 'defintion' of the exemplar set says
    (paraphrased) to leave out anything that can be left out of the
    orthography without making the text incorrect. And to not consider
    punctuation.

    While it doesn't say so, I take it that the use of 'fallback' spellings,
    motivated only by technological limitations and not by other reasosn,
    such as using ae for a-umlaut in German (e.g. when writing on an English
    typewriter) is not covered.

    A./