RE: Phetsarat font, Lao unicode

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2007 - 18:21:03 CDT

    Is it really a Latin "x" (i.e. with serifs, and possible capitalization?) I
    think it looks more like a symbol, like the multiplication sign "×",
    possibly larger, andwith the two strokes forming the diagonals of a perfect
    square, similar in spirit to the dotted circle symbol used in Unicode
    charts).

    Currently, Unicode does not formally have a common code for denoting a base
    letter placeholder. If it existed, then it would just have to look like a
    dotted circle for Common diacritics, and possibly here as a cross with Lao
    vowels. But anyway, such cross symbols could be used as well as the
    placeholder in Latin notations, and Lao could use the dotted circle as well.

    So why not using one of the existing cross symbols instead of an "x" which
    may not look correct with Lao vowels, due to its possible serifs, possible
    variable angle of the two strokes (not perfect square), possible variable
    weight, possible rounded strokes (and additional internal loops in
    handwritten styles), and possible junctions in cursive forms?