RE: UAX#14-20: undesriable line breaking opportunities (parenthese and quotation marks)

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2007 - 13:03:22 CDT

    I used other test pages where the bug was visible before I could fix it
    using explicit CSS style markup.

    This was visible on many Wikipedia pages, within side "infoboxes" whose
    layout is often a small table with two narrow columns, and the first column
    is a fixed label (whose singular or plural is unknown) and the second lists
    one or more values. This case was not one of those requiring the use of the
    "emergency line breaking" procedure that was described more precisely in the
    UAX#14 update 20.

    This bug is also common in many input forms (or data search result forms)
    where one is allowed to input (or retrieve) one (or several) value(s)...

    For your reply, the bug affects IE7 too (I know it was present in IE6 or
    before) at least in XP and Vista (don't know about Windows Server 2003 or
    other versions)

    And it affects my current version of Word (French edition), on some cases
    (yes not always, I don't know exactly why the undesirable break is sometimes
    avoided, because I don't know if there are other typographical
    considerations that may cause it, so that Word thinks that more breaks are
    not needed). It may depend on the effective localization of the hyphenator,
    I have not tried by forcing the English language.