Re: [indic] Re: Chillu debate a summary

From: N. Ganesan (naa.ganesan@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2007 - 13:29:43 CDT

    On 8/3/07, Michael Everson <everson@evertype.com> wrote:
    > Are you suggesting that ZWJ and ZWNJ are not deprecated in IDN?
    > --

    I definitely suggest/request that use of ZWJ in Malayalam IDN *not* be
    deprecated
    per PRI-96. When major developers, papers, and publishers will
    continue and plan
     to use Malayalam unicode with zwj sequences in text, why block zwj in
    IDN only for Malayalam? Doesn't zwj not work in IDN for Devanagari
    script?
    Just like other India's scripts, Malayalam should be given the
    capacity to use both zwj and zwnj in IDN.

    As we discussed here, Malayalam is not comparable to any South East Asian
    script. Its political, cultural and linguistic affliations are within
    India. Once Antoine
    Leca said the grid of ISCII is not "innocent", any letter is linked in
    parallel code
    spots, so also they've designed 'soft' halanta. As Devanagari, we can
    use chillus
    with zwj's to differentiate in meanings for Malayalam too.

    N. Ganesan