Re: [OT] Re: CLDR Usage of Gregorian Calendar Era Terms: BC and AD -- Can we please have "CE" and "BCE" ?

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Fri Dec 21 2007 - 17:32:37 CST

    James Kass wrote:

    > In the "open marketplace of ideas", concepts which are truly alien
    > to our own viewpoints should be tolerated, else the marketplace
    > is not open. It is hoped that, when presented with all possible
    > choices, most people will be able to discern between that which
    > is valid and that which is claptrap.

    I think there is a wide gap between objection to censorship, i.e. to the suppression of
    opposing viewpoints or objectionable ideas, and the kind of relativism promoted by the
    organisation to which Ed brought our attention. Ideas should be engaged with critically
    and exposed to reason, not least because very large numbers of people demonstrate every
    day that they are not, in fact, capable of discerning by themselves what is claptrap. For
    this critical engagement to happen neither censorship nor relativism are welcome: one
    closes the marketplace and the other devalues it.

    JH

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Gulf Islands, BC      tiro@tiro.com