Re: Exemplifying apostrophes

From: Behnam (behnam.rassi@gmail.com)
Date: Mon May 26 2008 - 13:06:25 CDT

    Thank you Mr Ewell for references and info.

     From what I understand, or more precisely from what I don't
    understand (which would be most of it!) I think that your proposal
    for language identifier is very sophisticated and takes part in
    encoding standard scheme.
    This is probably why it is facing resistance because it is entering
    in a domain that most applications and their developers consider
    their own.

    What I am suggesting is much much simpler, to the point of banality.
    Yet very efficient. But also much more acceptable to all parts.
    The paragraph language identifier that I'm suggesting, doesn't do
    anything in plain text at all. It just sits there as a part of the
    paragraph encoding.
    Only when the paragraph is opened by an application, it can identify
    the language of the paragraph to the application and trigger the
    language support system of that application... or simply be ignored,
    just as in plain text.

    The value of this identifier is just its existence, being there with
    the paragraph, wherever it goes. So an email client knows that this
    is for example a French paragraph. The word processor knows that it
    is a French paragraph and a web-page knows that it is a French
    paragraph. What do they do with this knowledge is totally up to them,
    with regards to whatever support system they already have developed
    that could use of this knowledge and whatever their customers ask
    them to be developed.

    Behnam