Re: wikipedia unicode font.

From: Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven (asmodai@in-nomine.org)
Date: Wed Jul 09 2008 - 06:55:53 CDT

    Dear Ngwe Tun,

    I am just an (innocent?) bystander following this exchange of emails.

    -On [20080709 12:10], Ngwe Tun (ngwestar@gmail.com) wrote:
    >Welcome. you can spread wrong information more than we expected by the role of
    >Unicode proposal. Seeing is beleiving. How Irish guy comptence our language
    >fonts?

    Michael has done a lot for many different languages, most of which, I
    assume, he is not a native or fluent speaker of. But such knowledge is not
    necessarily needed in order to produce working fonts for such languages.

    >Still you are thinking Burmese, Mon, Shan and Karen like Latin. Just learn from
    >Martin first. Shall we need storage order specification for our languages or
    >not?

    What do you mean by 'storage order specification'? Are you referring to the
    way combining characters need to be stored or something?

    >Never ever take advantages from Myanmar people

    I think such statements are a bit over the top for the Unicode list. Even
    though you might disagree with Michael, as we all disagree with one another
    from time to time, I highly doubt he is taking advantage of anyone. From
    what I understand he is even devoting time and effort into creating a
    Myanmar/Burmese font for free.

    In all fairness Ngwe Tun, I have many friends in Asian countries and I
    understand their English fairly well, even with any mistakes they might
    make, but I have had difficulty trying to fully understand the problems you
    are trying to point out in your emails.

    If there are problems with Unicode not fully supporting a specific written
    form of Burmese or some other local language or dialect --and I fully admit
    my knowledge is sadly lacking about Myanmar and its writing-- then most, if
    not all, of us are very interested in hearing about it. So, could we please
    focus on that?

    Thank you for your consideration.

    イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
    Praying upon deaf ears...