Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Jan 03 2009 - 23:42:49 CST

    On 1/3/2009 1:16 AM, Michael Everson wrote:
    > On 2 Jan 2009, at 22:55, Asmus Freytag wrote:
    >
    >> Compatibility characters may need to be encoded for interoperability,
    >> despite failing the normal tests for inclusion as characters. That
    >> has been true in some way or other of all characters encoded for
    >> compatibility so far. Depending on the nature of the compatibility,
    >> the characters *may* obtain a compatibility decomposition, but that
    >> is not universally so. The main criteria whether to include some
    >> character as compatibility character are based on whether having it
    >> encoded is necessary for interoperability with non-Unicode based
    >> plain text protocols.
    >
    > Seems to me that "compatibility characters" means whatever you want it
    > to mean at a given moment.
    I simply follow the definition. See, for example the glossary:

    "/Compatibility Character. /
    A character that would not have been encoded except for compatibility
    and round-trip convertibility with other standards"

    If you emember that the word standard as used in that definition is not
    restricted to international standards, or formal standards, but includes
    de-facto standards as well, then saying "The main criteria whether to
    include some character as compatibility character are based on whether
    having it encoded is necessary for interoperability with non-Unicode
    based plain text protocols." is merely another way of saying that the
    inclusion of the character depends on whether it's needed "for
    compatibility and round-trip convertibility with other standards".

    A./