Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpela@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Sun Jan 04 2009 - 07:10:30 CST

    Asmus Freytag wrote:

    >> Seems to me that "compatibility characters" means whatever you want
    >> it to mean at a given moment.
    > I simply follow the definition. See, for example the glossary:
    >
    > "/Compatibility Character. /
    > A character that would not have been encoded except for compatibility
    > and round-trip convertibility with other standards"

    It's a pseudo-definition. It does not make it possible to say, for any given
    character, whether it is a compatibility character or not. The
    pseudo-definition refers to assumed intents and motives, not to the standard
    or accompanying documents. How would you decide whether a particular
    characters is a compatibility character? I mean "you" generically, including
    people who just read the standard and were not personally involved in the
    standards work and don't even know anyone who was.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/